What a weekend at FYF Festival in Los Angeles! We are only one day out from our time at Exposition Park, and we are still recovering from all the fun and festivities of the three-day musical event. The lineup featured a vast majority of genres, and superstars from the past and the present, including: Missy Elliott, Erykah Badu and A Tribe Called Quest.
Story | Jasmine Sabagquit
Images | Jasmine Sabagquit & FYF
Goldenvoice is no noob to the concert and festival game, and as the promoter for Coachella, you know FYF Festival was not going to disappoint. If you weren’t able to join the tens of thousands of people on site, I, along with The Lunch Table team members, Matthew and Briana, were on site this past weekend and gathered up our Top Ten highlights/notable moments from this year’s festival.
So here we go:
1. 6LACK showed up on stage sporting a beanie, with his signature dreads no longer in sight. Nonetheless, gave a Grade A performance and had the crowd hyped, singing along to his tracks off of “FREE 6LACK.”
2. Mac DeMarco had an impressive crowd surf that reached not only the back of the crowd, but all the way into the Woods section of the festival.
3. The Lunch Table writer, Matthew, met with Kevin Abstract, Romil of Brockhampton, and Alexander Sowinski of BADBADNOTGOOD.
4. Kehlani surprised fans with her first-ever performance of “Faking It,” her hit song off of Calvin Harris’ Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1.
5. A Tribe Called Quest had a high intensity, classic rap performance and made sure to pay respects to the late Phife Dawg.
6. Neo-soul lovers gathered around a packed stage to see Erykah Badu. The Queen of Neo-Soul, hasn’t missed a beat and commanded The Lawn stage with her presence, singing iconic hits like “Bag Lady” and “On & On.”
7. Solange was impressive on stage with her nostalgic, 70’s-esque performance : funky moves, red jumpsuit, live horns, and hair flips that’d make Tina Turner sing, “Proud Mary.”
8. Missy Elliott hit a USA stage for the first time in 10 years and gave fans a nostalgic, blast from the past with her hits like ‘Get Ur Freak On” and “Supa Dupa Fly.” To be noted: Beyonce, Tyler, The Creator, Bjork and Katy Perry, were all on-hand for the “Misdemeanor”
9. Flying Lotus blessed the LAWN stage with a unique 3D performance (special 3D glasses were included in the ticket packages), that gave fans a musical, visual experience like you were front and center at EDC.
And finally, the biggest, most-anticipated moment of the night…
10. FRANK OCEAN. He gave fans what they wanted by just showing up, but gave a 360 surround sound experience and visuals that looked like you were watching a musical documentary, brought out Brad Pitt for a special cameo off his cover of “Close to You” and Jackson 5’s “Never Can Say Goodbye,” and provided a concert karaoke session during his performance of “Nikes.”